Monday, October 13, 2008

Angelo Ippolito

I found a Facebook group today called "In memory of Angelo Ippolito" and I had to join. Angelo Ippolito was my adviser at Binghamton University in the early 90's when I was an art student. He was an abstract expressionist, made wonderful assemblage sculptures which he called "jaw-jooz" that were fun and witty. He helped me to laugh about art and to take it seriously. He was an elegant gentleman who was always impeccably dressed.

The most important thing that Angelo taught me was to always play. That art making was about play. The way a jazz musician needs to keep improvising and finding the next note, the way a child needs to make up a game as she goes along. If you stopped playing, you would just steal the life from the art work and just end up with a dull piece. That can't happen without taking risks. He told me that if you had a painting that came easily, that is because the 20 before it were difficult. You payed for it, you had already paved the way. Angelo was one of the first people who ever took me or what I had to offer the world seriously, and I loved him dearly for it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How fortunate to have been influenced by such a profound gentleman. I'm sure he would be proud of your work today.

TheresaJ said...

It sounds like he was an amazing man, a wonderful teacher, and a gift to his students. It's lovely that he is being immortalized by his students. What a beautiful tribute!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

You were fortunate to have this man as a mentor and teacher. It's wonderful the tribute site has been set up in his honor.

You've been tagged. Please check out my blog for the details:
http://judisjems.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-been-tagged.html

Peace, Judi